I get it. The whole unicorn thing is trendy and it feels like Target, Home Goods and similar stores are on unicorn steroids. Even I’ll admit it’s a bit much. But I came by this unicorn thing pretty honestly.
I was meeting a community of creatives in downtown L.A. for the first time and in the middle of the initial pleasantries one of them blurted out “Erykah! The unicorn is here!”
With full-on enthusiasm and all kinds of hype. I was like “Huh? Who me? A unicorn? Really you think so?” I went with it though.
I figured, “Hey if this cool stranger (at first sight) thinks I’m a unique being then I guess I am?”
Fast forward five years later and I completely own this unicorn thing. Being a unicorn simply means that you are unique, you know it, and you own it.
And here’s the thing: we are all unicorns.
We are all unique, special people. We might have similarities to people around us because after all, we’re all human at the end of the day. I believe though that we are all rare in our own way. Each one of us has something special to offer to the world that only we could give. And the sooner we develop a deeper understanding of ourselves, the faster we achieve inner peace.
As this blog matures you will come to learn more about me and my unicornin’ (yeah that’s a thing) lifestyle. For now, here are some random facts about me.
12 Random Facts About Me:
1. I love Jesus with my whole heart. Which means two things for me: I am a work in progress and I lean on the divine to help me become a better version of myself.
2. I’m left-handed. I have (sort of) grew out of the awkward stage of turning my paper on an angle to write.
3. I’m a Virgo.
4. I did zip lining in the jungles of Cambodia on a makeshift zip line. It was wild and exhilarating.
5. I speak French.
6. I had a pet gerbil once that I killed inadvertently because I put it in a glass cage. It chewed on the glass and died.
7. As a child I enjoyed bike riding around my neighbourhood by myself.
8. I’m Canadian. I grew up in Montréal, Québec. Poutine is life!
9. Swimming and singing were my happy places growing up. I was on a swim team for several years and sang in the church choir.
10. I enjoy driving by myself. I like the free time it gives me to think without distractions.
11. If I like a song enough, I could listen to for 13 hours straight.
12. At one point in my life I wanted to go to law school (what was I thinking??).